By Lamin Njie
The sexual misconduct case involving a top official at the ministry of foreign affairs is now with the police and the ministry of justice, the ministry of foreign affairs said on Tuesday.
Melville Robertson Roberts, the head of the America division at the ministry of foreign affairs, is yet to return to The Gambia since allegations of rape and other sexual misconduct claims were made against him. At least ten women have claimed they have had an encounter with him. He denied the allegations while vowing to return to The Gambia and clear his name.
Days after the allegations emerged in June this year, the ministry of foreign affairs suspended him and gave him an ultimatum of seven days for him to return to the country from UK where he was studying but he has since flouted that demand.
The Standard reported last month the Gambia government has revoked the top official’s diplomatic immunity as a result of his behaviour, citing government sources.
On Tuesday, the ministry of foreign affairs told The Fatu Network Mr Roberts case is now with the police and the ministry of justice.
“I refer you to the police and the attorney general’s chambers since the matter is with them already,” a spokesperson of the ministry of foreign affairs Saikou Ceesay said.
The Fatu Network contacted the spokesman of the Gambia Police Force Lamin Njie (not related to the author of this story) but he could not immediately comment on the issue. He however promised to check with the investigators and furnish the outlet with any new facts.